Jeff,

Here's one for you. Our club once flew an event called SM1LE, standing for
Simple Multitask 1-Lap Event.

You launched into the wind, then went back behind the launch point. You then
had a time limit by which you had to get on the course, which started near the
launch point and went upwind. You flew up to the turn point, then back; after
completing the course you finished out the rest of your duration task and
landed. There were points for getting on the course, for the upwind leg, for
the downwind leg, points based on how long it took to make the 1 lap, points
for duration and landing points.

The day we flew it there was a pretty stiff headwind. Not everybody completed
the course and not everybody made the time, which I believe was 6 minutes. It's
not automatic by any means to make 6 minutes when you have to follow a fixed
flight course.

The winner made it to the upwind mark quite low, caught a little hand-launch
thermal, circled in it while still on the clock -- ruining his speed score, of
course -- and drifted the length of the course. He then managed to fly out the
time and hit his landing. It was an excellent event in my opinion but was never
repeated because the way we ran it, with only one plane on course at a time,
made it take too long -- we did only two rounds. Nonetheless, it was lots of
fun to fly and fun to watch. It would be a real hoot to fly it with 4-man MOM
flight groups!