To all of you who decide to buy something from Jim Porter I have to warn you!

He sold me a Thorn sloper kit recently and I got home last nite from the beaches and found that not only did I have to pay for the kit, the shipping but had to hire a contractor to get the box open and the contents unpacked.

They worked for hours with blow torches, vacuums (yes he does use peanuts!), and various hydrualic cutting devices before I even got to all the bubble wrap on the parts!

Before I go any farther I have to add this, "I pity the fools passed this thing up!" :-)

I'm not sure that you could actually call the Thorn a sailplane...its more like a caricature of a molded sailplane that has been produced by Louisville Slugger Mfgring.

Since it has been done a  CNC mill, the fuse and wings actually resemble current molded components.  All shaped rounded routed with wing mounting blind nuts etc installed.

Pretty much all you add is varnish :-)

It is sleek and curved....and it is SOLID wood!

Okay back to that darned Jim Porter and his packing....I had to cut through about 6 layers of tightly taped bubble wrap just to see the parts.

When I asked Jim why he packed this thing with so much cushioning, he said that UPS refused to take it without because they were afraid it might damage their trucks!

I am sooo glad I bought the Thorn, it is one of those rare items that happens every once in a while in our hobby's history.  From its weight, the supplier assures the buyer that it flys in the lightest of lift, as long as you are tossing off a slope located on the moon.

Big wooden grin today!
Gordy
Google it and take a look at the video of it soaring