Here over the ditch in NZ we dont even use the welded ring anymore.
Sleeve the line as you described but put the loop in the line directly on
the hook thru the crown of the chute.  Less weight and no hard bits to whack
your tails.
I have yet to catch a tail using this system and I think the slight delay in
the chute opening as the line is withdrawn helps avoid tail hookups.
Cheers, Les.