Hi People
I have to agree with Darwin here. New technology is nice but not always better. I use a 13 year old Futaba 9Z. It will do almost anything and I imagine will be able to take a SS module at some point. I looked at changing radios a few years back but all the competitiors had shortcomings that were worse than the few minor shortcomings that I percieved with my 9Z so I have stayed with it. For me at least I will be waiting for this technology to shake down and stabilize before I take the plunge. I have been burnt before with synth RXs and DSP that lockup when the going gets tough and single conversion recievers that don't work as claimed.

Best regards
Peter Williams

Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:57:10 -0700
From: "Darwin N. Barrie" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <soaring@airage.com>
Subject: Spread Spectrum

I believe this will be the norm in the next few years. It will take a =
while for everyone to make the transition. I'm still concerned about the =
range, so I'll wait for some of you to put a $1500 moldy a half a mile =
down range and see if it still works. Is it the spread spectrum that =
makes it so exciting? I don't get it!!!

Futaba has some big stuff coming as well. The information is being held =
very tightly, so I suspect it will be good.

I'm also confused as to the excitement level on this radio that has =
limited sailplane capability (actually none), when the Futaba 12MZ will =
do virtually anything a sailplane pilot will need. The 14MZ definitely =
will. Yeah they are more expensive but you won't need to upgrade every =
couple of years. Also these systems are extremely easy to program. I =
have no specific knowledge but think Spread Spectrum will be coming to =
these systems before long. Now that is something to get excited =
about!!!!

Darwin N. Barrie
Chandler AZ