Afraid I must disagree with you about floaters. While I'll grant that the
Mirage may have been a benchmark, I'd be willing to fly a good Bubble Dancer
vs. you with a Mirage any day. (Not that I'd necessarily win, we all know it's
the pilot, and I don't know you so you may fly a lot better than I do.) If it
was a bit breezy and we had the same airframe weight I'd even spot you a few
points.

Actually, I think the Allegro Lite did some of it first, but the Bubble Dancer
is a combination of full pedal strength with very light weight, balsa
construction, low moment of inertia, and refined aerodynamics. I don't recall
seeing that before the Allegro Lite. The Bubble Dancer turns very quickly for a
3 meter. My impression was that it did this quicker than the aileron jobs. I
hadn't seen anything quite like it before. Certainly not a 3 meter that you
could full pedal launch and also be comfortable doing a couple of circles from
a hand launch.

Watching Mark launch the Allegro Lite was surreal. Like playing a 33 at 45, or
even 78, for those of you who remember vinyl. I don't know what the imitations
fly like yet, though I hope to soon.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
wrote:
Fred,

I agree with your opinion.  I read the threads and had to take a larger
overview to what a benchmark actually means.

In my opinion, Benchmark planes, means some plane to which other planes
are compared to so that a noticeable advancement in performance,
building, transport, and flying can be measured.  They should be unique
and contribute unique characteristics.