10 or 15 years ago, had an Oly 2 foisted off on me (I didn't actually bid, it
was a joke) for $25. I estimate 100 hours or more. Negelecting wear and tear on
very cheap radio, new batteries, etc. that's 10 cents per hour.

BTW, I think 100" is a neglected blend of practical, relatively inexpensive
size, visibility, and performance.

DLG's are expensive because we feel we need that last little bit of performance. As
Americans, I think we tend to feel we need all the bells and whistles. (My apologies to
those of you from other countries.) If I am at the store, I can't seem to find the
shampoo I prefer which is labeled, simply, "normal". (I don't like smelling
like a scented candle factory.) I am reasonably sure that one could get reasonable
performance out of a polyhedral DLG bagged with Kraft paper (of a suitable weight) over
foam, a mostly wooden fuselage, and balsa tail surfaces. It would still need a bit of
carbon, of course. Maybe I'll  make one sometime. Particularly if I become independently
wealthy so I have time. :-p But seriously, I think for a professional guy, the cost of a
DLG is no big deal. At least when he's between layoffs.

My hobby choices are very different depending on whether time or money is the
scarce resource.

I predict that if we got rid of all TV's, we'd see a resurgence of scratch building.
Ditto if no one was allowed to "work" more than 40 hours. (I am not suggesting
the latter.)
TJB wrote:

How about cost per hour?  snip

I'd like to hear from some others on this way of looking at things.