I guess my first question is you are a EE student and not an amateur radio operator?????

At any rate

802.11b, depending on the data rate, is probably direct sequence spread spectrum......a good explanation of the differences can be found in the ARRL Handbook for Radio Communications........almost any version in the past few years will have it.

Kevin O'Dell N0IRW