Weak links?

How do you know as a competitor how much line tension you're pulling at
any given time? So you're suggesting penalizing a competitor who has his
model properly set up, pops a thermal on tow, gets windgusted... etc....

The problem with the "you break it, you fly it" mentality is....We are
not breaking the lines at anywhere near their rated breaking strength.
What's going on is, lines are being abused, worn, and damaged over
normal usage. This is going on at different rates at every winch. You
are then penalizing a competitor for having weaker line than the next
guy. I broke the line at my last Nats a couple of times while tapping. I
didn't have monster tension, and was not in any way abusing the
equipment. I was told by organizers to bring it down and relight. I also
personally witnessed competitors at the first Masters intentionally
breaking lines for the opportunity to relight at the end of the group.

Line breaks will always be a part of any contest. The way to completely
eliminate it as a problem, is to switch to FAI type rules and winches,
and make the competitor responsible for his own launch equipment. In the
absence of that, (and that may never happen here in the states) we need
to make it much harder to break the lines. That means less power.

There it is - the Supra solution.

Mike - Insanity and Sharon are identical in span... for some reason.

Darylperkins.com LLC.
1600 McCulloch Blvd. 5B
Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403

www.darylperkins.com