Actually I haven't proposed that we use specific F3B winches for TD, but to use
the F3B resistance spec. as  base line to better control and equalize the FLS
powered winches for our US TD comps and allow the lower lb test line usage.

A side effect is that this would allow a FLS powered winch to be used for local
F3B and F3J comps to hopefully get more people an opprotunity to get involved
in FAI activities.

Anker wrote the following:

There's a much better method than using a resistor. The resistor
generates heat that is pure wasted energy. Instead, an automatic pulser
that cuts the power to the solenoids when the current exceeds a certain
value is a much better solution. There's an even better advantage to
this solution because you can adjust the maximum current depending on
what is being launched. An even more advanced concept is to have a foot
pedal that isn't simply and on/off switch, but a rheostat that controls
the current limiter. I actually have one of these sitting in my garage.

I can appreciate the above concept in theory but again it is bound to be more
expensive to fab and install and "more important" it will be some what more
fragile and if it fails to an all on condition, OOOPS !

The S/S threaded rod is cheap, can't fail to an all on or off condition, read
reliability, it is manually adjustable with a pair of small wrenches, once set
it can't change value and since it is exposed to the air, with especially the
threads, it is much better cooling than say for instance a so;id bar.

Employing the KISS method by "Keepng It Simple Stupid" is always a better way
to go.

Regards, Dave Corven.