Good morning,

I felt compelled to throw something out for comment, but we in the
Tidewater Model Soaring Society (TMSS) have been messing around with
club contest formats, as it seems many others have been doing.  I was
the CD in December, and had a somewhat different event to try-out.

Basically, the concept of rounds was kind of abandoned and we blended in
a constant-task ladder event with a nominal 10-minute task. Here are the
details:

1) The first round was basic 10-minute duration, open winch, with FAI
landing tapes. You needed a timer for this round. The need for this
round will be clearer after you read the rest.

2) After the first round, we flew non-precision duration 10-minute
tasks, still with the FAI tapes. Pilots needed some way of knowing when
they reached 10-minutes of airtime, then they could shoot the landing
and didn't need someone timing them. The resulting score was 10:00 plus
whatever the landing was if the flight was 10-minutes or more. If the
flight was less than 10:00 minutes, the score was zero (no landing
either).  Everyone was on their honor.

3) The winner was whoever had the highest score. You could fly as many
times as you wanted (within the established contest window of 10am to
4pm, or until all gave-up) and use whatever launch equipment you had as
long as it didn't out-perform the single club winch. This format enabled
all to fly a lot and was kind of man-on-man, just not on a per-round
fashion. The man-on-man part was on a per-day basis. So, it was fly or
be buried, no excuses.  The need for the first round was to avoid anyone
having a zero score for the day (i.e. juice box and a snack ;-)) and
provided some finer separation, if needed.

Some free benefits occurred: pop-offs, bad-air, bad-luck, etc, were no
longer meaningful issues.  If you didn't like your flight, do it again.
Seems like many liked it, though some boycotted it.  Perhaps
re-arranging pilot classes could help (i.e. I am here to fly my
blank-off and bury everyone class, or I am here to fly, sort of, but
want a 2+-hour lunch break class).  It would be interesting to see if
this concept could be scaled-up.  Perhaps the advent of 2.4 gig
technology could help alleviate potential frequency issues with applying
this to a larger event.

Thoughts?

Thanks, Josh.