In a message dated 1/11/2008 4:11:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

This  modern generation seems to think everybody has to win.  Cheat if
necessary but win.   I don't feel that way.  Winning isn't  necessary but
competition is.
    Great statements, but I think the "everybody wins"  comes from the loser
parents who think their mediocre offspring should be  anointed a winner. The
"level playing field" is a liberal idea that  is designed to make everyone FEEL
good. Individual achievement  cannot be tolerated because the losers might
feel bad.  Keeping score  usually results in the losers (feeling bad) while
they
should be encouraged to  practice, learn and practice to produce better
results the next time. Individual  achievement belongs to the US, collective
achievement belongs to the failed  USSR.

    Personally, like Chuck, I have been doing the life  competition thing for
a very long time.  Should I have asked for  special consideration when I
finished less than first in my flight training  class?  Should I have quit the
program and looked for a different  career?  Of course the answer is no and
with
a bit of extra PERSONAL  effort, I turned the less than perfect start into a
successful career.

    So Chuck and I approach model soaring competitions  with the same
philosophy.  Determine the format, find a timer and give it  hell.  Sometimes
we
surprise ourselves and win a round or even a contest,  but that is the
intended,
if somewhat  unexpected, consequence. Occasionally, if you select the right
team  mates, you can even win an award like the Pruss Trophy at the NATS
(thanks
Larry  and Craig).

    Finally, don't level the playing field for  me.  The seeded man-on-man is
a good format for the competitions we  hold in the US.  The format lends
itself to large and small contests with a  minimum of personal and equipment.
Don't standardize the  winches.  Just tell me what they are, give me one
launch,
and start the  contest.

Don  Richmond
San Diego, CA