Mike Pop and me got to the field ..in the rain.  Cold and windy with a
really dark and misty sky.  Not exactly what you think of meeting when you  go
bed in warm, gentle winds!

I had a feeling that the air was going to be really good in spite of the
mist and wind, and turns out I was right.

I put up an easy max with a nice landing too.  The ground was  exceptionally
turbulent and that got a bunch of guys in the landing zone.

After the first round the sky broke, the temps came up but the wind  stayed.
A gorgeous day from that point forward.

I had one flight that put me wayyyyy downwind, low over houses, but the
World's Heaviest Carbon Supra Lite did it self proud. Everyone, and I mean
everyone stopped and watched it come back from a start of about 50', weaving up
 and
down with the rolling low thermals and sink cycles, to finally slide between
a pair of low power wires, over the road, over the edge of the field with at
least 300' to the LZ, with me standing at least 100' feet away from it  too.
I started back pedaling when I realized she wasn't done yet, and she  joined
me about 25' away from the spot, I turned to look at the spot, and bumped  the
aileron stick, which ended both our chances for extra glory on that  flight.
Zero landing points.

Larry Squire has been in the zone since getting his Shadow XL from Soaring
USA, he really kept the heat on us today.  I don't think he missed a max
landing for most of the 7 rounds.  But he got himself low and behind,  across
that
road, in some really bad sink and made a good decision to just put  it down
safe...but out of bounds.  Even still he managed to take third  place, which
tells you how perfect he'd been flying.

Bud Elders got his Pike Superior tangled up at the top of a good size tree,
but I was able to climb to the top and toss it out, just a little wrinkle  in
the very tip, which didn't stop him from having some pretty great rounds
himself after.

Mike Popescu, flying his own extended Pelican design, was determined to fly
well and he did.  It was him, Larry and myself clanking around the top all
day.

In the end it turns out I was really seeing the air today, if not the LZ
that well, but I capped the day with a perfect time and landing, putting me
about 80 points ahead of the crowd.

Everyone had some great flights and at least one really scary one I  think.
A lot of talent down here for sure.

Wish you could have been there too!
Gordy
When asked where I was going after winning the contest, I replied,"I'm to
going to Disney World!"...but I'll only be there till about noon, then off to
Jamaica.