I had a chance to watch one fly this weekend at the SWC, Phil Renaud had  his
there and flew it.
Also had a chance to stand with DP, and Skip  while they flew it around and
tested its handling, and chatted up its  characteristics in comparison to its
little cousin the Supra.

May as well give up on anyone arguing that it isn't like a Supra, or an
evolution of the Supra. whether it is or not, its pod and boom and has Drela
influence.

Its relationship to the Icon is non-existent...other than its also a Maple
Leaf produced sailplane.

Having gotten all that out of the way, it does have some totally new
innovations of its own.

The fuse (pod) is unique, in that it has an underbelly access for loading
square ballast slugs. big ones.
The fuse is almost handlaunch petite, the tail boom is surprisingly small
diameter, far smaller than an AVA or Supra.  Its pretty stiff though, has  to
be
for that 150" wing.  The pod profile is also square cornered, and the  cone
is a firm fit. Yes its 2.4 friendly and there is enough room for a Spectram
system....that is what was in the model I saw.

The pushrods for the elevator and rudder are run along the outside of the
boom, definitely unlikely that inny's would be possible.

Seeing it isn't a problem, the sky was very blue when those guys were  flying
it, and DP took it wayyyyyyy out, so similar to the Supra, you can see it
just fine.

It IS nimble in the air and slowed down okay for the catch.

Also like the Supra, if ugly can be beautiful the Icon2 is...as pretty as
any pod and boom ship.

For its incredible span, it is very light...I believe I heard about 78ozs
for the model they were flying.  Divide that into the span and you end up
having apologize for how lite it is to your friends! :-)

Fit and finish looked up to Euro standards.

I'm looking forward to flying against them this season!
Gordy

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)