Did I mention that I took first place in Woody Class this weekend?   Guess
I'm a little forgetful sitting here basking in the after-glow of that  victory
;-)

So forgive me if I repeated that news :-).

What I was pumped about seeing at the SWC was some of the new faces flying
well, and some of the not so new faces flying well!

Sure has-been's like me, LJ, DP, SM, MS, GJ,Cody,Dr. Dan, did okay or  the
usual, there was some really great flying done by a new young thumb who  I
believe were are going to see and hear a lot more of this season!

David Klein (yep another California boy) has the bug!  His passion  is F3B,
but this weekend got TD blood boiling in him and if you check the Open  score
card you will see that he has serious talent for the fun side of the  hobby.
AND he's on the LSF Task trail too!  This weekend will really  take a nice bite
out of his LSF contest point requirements. ;-)

Skip Richards is back to Colorado and officially a RMSA member with his  mind
set on honing his piloting skills...Skip has natural talent, a competitive
nature, with a season attitude to keep things in perspective. I was fortunate
to  time for him a flight and got to see just how talented he really is (he
doesn't  realize it himself!). And he's a seriously fantastic photographer too!

Mark Russel was king of the landing zone judges and I got to time him for a
flight too and for a guy who has virtually no contest or soaring
mentoring...well lets put it this way, he got more landings in Open than I  did!
He has a true passion for soaring and is hungry to learn more.

Scott Whaley was there (current club VP), I watched a few of his flights  too
and same kudo's for him (this has nothing to do with the fact that he gave
me a beer shortly after that video clip landing I screwed up.."again!"

I'm not mentioning every guy who impressed me with their improved flying
skills,for one, Jason George has always been talented as a pilot, he just
needed
the plane to let him stretch his style and abilities. I think  the Perfect is
perfect for him...his scores and consistency certainly showed it  this
weekend...

The point of all this rambling is that our hobby is progressing, its not
dying or fading.  RES has provided a place for older eyes and top pilots of
years past to re-assert their dominance....not that I'm implying that RES
Wizard
Joe Nave is old !!!! :-)  Joe just has the thumb patience and air-eye for
that class.

While the Barry Kennedy's AVA series maintains and continues to earn its
dominance in RES class, Skip Miller's Topaz S is another great model well
worth
the money.  Durability is the real key to a contest RES ship today,  they all
fly just fine in the bid for wood.

Part 1 1/2 coming so stand by for some musing on updates on 2.4 stuff as
witnessed at SWC!
Gordy

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)