--- Begin Message --- Thanks, guys. You say nice things. I'm flattered. About that "swan song". I'm still building and flying, but have too many eye problems to effectively compete.

I just hit 87 last week on the 19th and still think I'm having more fun than about anyone my age. The day before on the President's Day holiday, I met with friends at a sod farm in the Tri-Cities (Pasco, Richland & Kennewick) for first flights on my just finished, scratch-built, Smooth Genie Pro #4 (See File 12 at http://genie.rchomepage.com/). That website is dedicated to those who want to learn the fascinating and gratifying art of scratch building. You do so by building one of the 5 thermal competition ships. Read the file "What's a Genie" for the scoop on these inexpensive and well-engineered sailplanes.

Just between us, a properly built SGP is a "secret weapon" that, if offered ARF, might become very well received on the thermal competition scene. . . . in my humble, unbiased opinion, of course. I have cores for SGP #5 coming and have started making parts. Several innovations will be incorporated. Ideas keep popping up to make them easier to build, stronger, lighter, prettier and more capable.

#4 behaved from the first hand launch on and although was cold (it's winter here in Washington state) thermals were encountered and the joy of flight and flying friends again experienced.

I've been a widower since shortly after retiring and continually active with RC sailplanes. After living alone, my place became a model airplane facility disguised as a residence. I have an independent, long term lady friend, Iris, who was born in England and as a child of 8 experienced the London blitz during WW2. She's "just a kid of 77" (perspective changes with age), has accompanied me to many a contest and knows the game. She's a great sport and kept me company on the trip to the sod farm although it was wall to wall fog when we left. I bribed her by offering to treat her to a BK Whopper and fries for lunch on the way over. The sky turned blue when we got about half way. Fingers and lips turned numb at the sod farm, but it sure was nice to be out and flying.

schrederman wrote:
Harley wrote: Consequently, I've not traveled far from home to meet or
hobnob
with the
more prominent names in this game.

Harley,

There's no one more prominent that those that help others. You've been
very unselfish in that regard, so I can't think of anyone "more
prominent" than you. My hat's off to you. I will probably never meet you
in person, and that's my loss...

Kindest regards.

Jack Womack

--- End Message ---