Rodger,

You asked,

>When using A/R mixing, can you still use rudder independently?
>also I have a futaba 6 xa, not with specific sailplane programs....but
>programmable...for example if I wanted "Crow" for landing, would it still be
>possible? during crow, how are ailerons functioning? Are they full up and
>flaps full down, and are you controlling yaw and roll with rudder alone?

=================

I have a Futaba 8UAF, so I can't intelligently comment on what you can do
with the 6XA.  "Crow" or "Butterfly" is available on the 8UAF.  Don
Edberg's book on the 8-channel radios describes how to do the set up and
why the controls need to be set up certain ways.  He may also have
suggestions on the 6XA.

With A/R mixing, the right stick gives the programmed amount of rudder
coupling.  The left stick can be used to add to the input giving by the
right stick.  Thus, more (or less rudder) can be added by manipulating the
left stick in addition to the right stick.  Note: when you have trims,
along with multiple switches and levers manipulating a control surface
through programmable mixes, the effects of the several different inputs is
additive.  They don't override each other

There are special considerations when the plane is in crow.  Because the
plane is moving slowly, the ailerons are not as effective.  You need to
rely more on rudder control.  On the 8UAF, the mixes can be set up such
that the "throttle" stick which controls the amount of crow is linked so as
to provide extra A/R mixing. Once the throttle is beyond about half way,
the A/R mixing is increased.

When in crow, the ailerons go up as the throttle stick is moved, and the
flaps go down.  The maximum deflection (trim position) for the ailerons is
in the range of 20 deg. The maximum flap deflection is close to 90 deg.
When the ailerons are raised, furthering raising of an aileron by using the
right stick may not be possible without hitting the stops.  Also, the
interaction of ailerons and yaw can be reversed at large deflections.  The
strategy with the 8UAF is to use programmable mixes such that an aileron is
not allowed to rise when there is a lot of crow.  Only the downward going
aileron moves with the right stick.  When the aileron is lowered, drag is
reduced and that side of the wing speeds up.  This is the opposite of the
normal adverse yaw when not in crow.  So both ailerons and rudder are
controlling yaw, but you rely mostly on rudder at low speeds.

Regards,

Dick

Dr. Richard C. Williamson            Phone:  781-981-7857
Room C-317                           FAX:    781-981-0122
Lincoln Laboratory                   Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
244 Wood Street
Lexington, MA 02420-9108