On Fri, Mar 07, 2008 at 02:16:22PM -0800, Bill Swingle wrote:

> So now that 2.4 Ghz is emerging in force; how long will we continue
> to have FCC approved access to the 72MHz band?

Probably a long time.  But they're a governmental agency, so who
knows?

Our channels are too small for FM voice transmission.  They'd be
useful for pager operation, but pagers have been largely replaced by
cell phones anyways.  If the FCC can take back the 72 MHz pager
frequencies, then that 1 MHz chunk of bandwidth might be useful to
somebody, but short of that, I don't see too much non R/C demand for
our 72 MHz spectrum.  And any new usage of the band will have to
content with existing R/C gear still being used -- illegally if the
band is given away, but does that really matter?

However, the local Fry's sells toy helicopters on 72 MHz.  It may be
that in a few years 72 MHz is unflyable with any `expensive/breakable'
plane due to the toy R/C planes/helicopters that have popped up
everywhere.  It seems quite likely to me that the R/C usage of 72 MHz
band may be *increasing* rather than decreasing -- for every one of
`us' there's a bunch of kids with R/C toys.  They're mostly on 27 or
49 MHz for now, but this could certain change, especially once they
decide that they need more than six channels ...

--
Doug McLaren, [EMAIL PROTECTED]