For those of you who are still flying 72Mhz, I just completed an
interesting test on my Supra.  THis may be old stuff to some of you.  If
it is useful, good -- if not, ignore it.

I started with a Supra with a carbon center panel and regular tips.  To
keep from dangling antenna wires I extended the antenna and ran it to
the right wingtip (about 32 inches are in the wingtip)  I am using a
JR9303 transmitter with a JR790 receiver.  I've been getting about 100
feet on antenna collapsed range checks.  While the thing has been OK --
even at contests, I can't say that I am overly impressed with the 100
foot range check.

Today I tested an antenna configuration which I first saw Randy
McCleave use.  It consists of 80 inches of nylon coated stiff steel
leader attached 1 1/2 inches from the receiver.  It runs through the
fuselage and boom and up the rudder and out the top (about 16 inches
dangles free from the top of the rudder -- about 30 inches total is
outside and away from any carbon.

I tested both configurations in a controlled setting.  The plane was
mounted on a non-conducting stand which held it about 30 inches above
the grass.  The transmitter was held at arm length and abut 30 inches
high.  I measured the range from the front, each side and the rear using
each antenna configuration.

The configuration with the antenna in the wing checked out to a range
of about 100 feet.  The configuration with the antenna out the top of
the rudder checked out to a range of about 350 feet.

Both systems used about the same overall lengths of antenna and the
same overall lengths of antenna not shielded by carbon.  All I can
figure is that the difference was due to the proximity of the tip
antenna in the glass wing tip to the carbon spar.  Anyway, I guess I'll
be flying with McCleave setup.

--
dharban