I have seen even a 1/4" CF joiner fail on the Stab of a Onyx JW. As stated before, the CF has to be protected. The one I seen fail, had marks in it which lead to it's failure. Changes were made to fix that problem. Just have to keep a close eye on CF stuff. Great stuff if it is taken care of.

Mike

Its not so much how hard it is to break the rod when its in good
condition.  It's plenty strong.  Its knowing when the strength has
been compromised with cracking after a few dork landings or an
unfortunate vertical arrival.   They become very easy to break once
they have a crack starting to develop.

Each pilot is going to have to decide the issue for himself.  For me,
if they're not at least 1/4" in diameter I'd rather use steel.  The
nose weight is not a consideration.  I won't use a center wing rod of
carbon in any case.

Rick

I've seen this topic for years and so decided to see what it would
take to break a 1/8" carbon rod with my hands which have
considerably higher bending capability than a stab on one side of a vertical.

Try it for yourself, try to use your hands to break a 1/8" carbon
rod, just past half way along its length.
It will be interesting to hear your findings bout how easy or hard
it is...and why it might be possible for a stab to put that kind of
force on the rod, with out it breaking first.

Note I didn't say it was hard, I'm asking you interested parties and
suggesters to 'do' something then report.
Gordy

In a message dated 4/25/2008 9:55:54 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,