Yes there are specialized chargers for small lead acid
batteries.

I bought a Lead-Acid gel-cell for powering a Sirius charger
to field charging Nicads.  It worked 'fantastically', at least
until I got a clue.

Anyway, when I got lead acid battery, I bought a special charger,
explicitly for small lead acid batteries.  They take a long time
to juice up, and you have to keep them charged.  They die quick
if you let them discharge without load over the course of a year,
or don't maintain them properly.  If you want a successful
experience with the gel cell, you may want to read up on the characteristics
of lead acid batteries, they have their drawbacks.

The Lead Acid charger I got I think was $20.  It is just a large transformer
with two LEDs, and some nominal black-box circuitry
(I guess), all about a 3"x3"x2.5" case which plugged directly
into the wall. Its an over-night charge.

After field charging for a few months, I grew weary of it.
I found a way that easier and probably more effective...
I just carry a few extra fully-charged nicads for the
radio and receivers.  I charge and top them off with the Sirius  charger in
the car on the way to the field (using the lighter jack).
Usually after flying the receiver and xmitter batteries aren't
near fully drained.  Since you haven't fully discharged the
batteries, it doesn't take long to recharge them with the
Sirius charger.  If I have a lot of drained batteries to charge,
I take em' down to the car 30-60 minutes or so before leaving.
By the time I'm there I can have three or four packs fully charged
for both the xmitter and receiver.

To keep a jump on the recycling, I just leave an xmitter battery and receiver
battery plugged into the Sirius charger in the car all the time during the
flying season, and sometimes rotate them when going
to the store, or mailing a letter, etc... (then capping them off
before flying only takes a few minutes per battery).

The Sirius goes into very (very) low drain 'conditioning mode'
and the LED's flash green when the (NiCad) is topped off.
Never seen the Sirius have any impact whatsoever on the car
battery even when I left it plugged in and didn't drive at all
for days at a time.  So if you drive almost every day, no problem.

Carrying a gel-cell of decent capacity and a charger
to the field along with all the other gear is a hassle, because
a decent capacity lead acid cell is heavy, and then breaking it out
and actually using it was more trouble than its worth, especially since you
can't really 'quick' charge the lead acid batteries in
the way you can with NiCads, and since you have to be religious
about properly maintaining a lead acid cell. Managing a single
large lead acid gell-cell at home is  more trouble than
quick-charging a few NiCads in advance in the car, I've found.
Initially you think you've got the hot setup, able to fly all
day, charge in the field, but you eventually realize you're just trading off
baby sitting NiCads for baby sitting your gel cell,
and its not any more convenient at all.  Less so, in fact.

-Paul