Greetings from Turkey.  The US Team is on the ground (mostly).  There were a
few hiccups in the travel, and we are still sorting it out here on Wed.  The
plans for reception by the organizer were great and we had a guide
personally waiting for us at the airport.  We have our personal driver and
it has been terrific.  Most of the team made it in on-time and with all our
baggage and planes.  Unfortunately the contingent coming in from the NW had
a number of problems.  Our Tower was delayed in Amsterdam and wound up
getting in at 4:00AM and had to wait until 6:00AM today to get picked up.
 Their good news was that their gear all arrived.  The Rest of the NW crew
was not as lucky.  They made it in nearly on time, but neither their planes
nor large baggage made it.  After their 3 hour ride from the airport to the
hotel, they arrived at between 3 and 4AM.  Their van was not ready either,
soooo they had to take the team car back to the airport (another 3+ hour
ride) and persevere with the lost baggage folks to find the planes.
 Eventually the planes were found, a Van was rented and they are currently
enroute to Adapazari, but too late for any practice for them today.  We got
whacked pretty good on excel baggage charges, but if we are  able to have
the same level of charges for the return trip, we should only exceed our
budget by $400 or so.

The rest of the team arrived at the field to find our palatial estate.
 Other than the Turkey team, we have the largest tent area.  Tent is an
understatement.  This thing is 2 stories high with plenty of room for all of
our models and our 23 team members and supporters.  The organization is
fantastic, with everyone asking if we needed anything.  We could not be more
comfortable or welcome!  We spent most of the morning getting the equipment
organized.  The afternoon was spent practicing.   Our team is looking very
good and very comfortable with the conditions here.  Our timing drills were
very precise so we should do well.  Frankie and Phil’s practice tows were
awesome.  The other towers were still off retrieving model boxes – they will
get their workout tomorrow.

Now the bad news.  Rich Burnoski lost a Supra when the stab hit my hand
during launch.  It is hurt bad, but repairable.  Daryl blew a stab off
during launch, he flew it down inverted with flaps with no other damage.  We
need to find him a new stab.  No other carnage to report.

The weather here is as predicted, hot and humid.  Light air in the morning,
with the wind picking up in the afternoon and lightening up later in the
day.    The carnage happened in pretty good breezes.

The hotel is great WITH AIR CONDITIONING…  Everybody is really nice from the
hotel staff to the restaurants to the pubs.

I took some GREAT pictures for you, but it appears that I left my camera
cable at home, so someone else will have to post the pics.

Tomorrow we have a serious practice, and try to keep our models intact.

GO USA!

Jim Monaco
US F3J Team Manager 2008