[EMAIL PROTECTED] Wrote:

> In a message dated 6/27/2008 7:05:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Gordy a  lot of people fly electric sailplane events internationally
> and
> are really growing the events in different formats. I would not even
> consider explaining the flaws in your logic in the RC Digest article
> about soaring and electrics.  But please explain this to me, why are
> the people who have no interest or participation in e-soaring events on
>
> any level, the experts of what the format should be. Next time I see
> you had better have a height limiter in your sailplane so everyone
> launches to the same height. ;o)

There are a lot of people who fly electric sailplane events
internationally.  In the U.S. in the two principal events which have
survived (Sailplane A LMR and Sailplane B LMR) at the Nats from 1998 to
present, participation has steadily declined from 60 entrants in 1998 to
(maybe) 22 entrants projected this year.  In the last five nats, 50% of
the entries in the two classes have been by seven individuals.  Not
exactly a resounding endorsement for the sport of the future.  Relative
to TD competition, which many have observed in these forums as being in
decline, e-soaring competition is having a hard time being born.

As to "why are the people who have no interest or participation in
e-soaring events on any level, the experts of what the format should
be?" -- perhaps it is because those people have adequate competition
experience to judge for themselves whether they would like to
participate in the events which are currently offered and sufficient
insight to understand, that in some format, they might be very
interested in participating.

Of course TD guys are never resistant to suggestions of change to
improve the sport :).  But at this stage in its development, it would
seem to me that e-soaring is still a great idea in search of an
_additional_ format which will attract broader participation.  It's
obvious that many guys who have tried the existing formats have voted
with their feet and moved on.  It may not be as obvious to the people
close to e-soaring that there may be many more people who might vote
with their feet and come aboard if they had a different choice.

Happy Landings,

Don

RCSE-List facilities provided by  Model Airplane News.  Send
"subscribe" and
"unsubscribe" requests to  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Please note
that
subscribe and unsubscribe  messages must be sent in text only format
with MIME
turned off.  Email  sent from web based email such as Hotmail and AOL
are
generally NOT in text  format

fuel-efficient used cars.

dharban