I got to fly for an hour on top of Caballo Mountain, up above Truth or
Consequences... first slope soaring experience ever... Threw my Bantam
off in almost no wind, but it's light enough that I was able to fly for
a while. I never got it more than 100' or so above me but there was just
enough lift to keep me coming back around. Then It died, and I almost
didn't get the model back... I finally had to fly around the hill to the
other side where the road comes up and land it on the road... and picked
it up on the way down. I've been up there several times, and I couldn't
believe it could be absolutely still at 7500', but it can. I've never
been up there when it wasn't blowing at least 20 knots...

I stopped on the way out of El Paso, Friday, at the R/C field and made
about 50 hand launches with my Bantam. I thermalled out twice, but
chickened out with all the mesquite and ocotillo sticking up out there.
It was too early and the thermals weren't cooking well yet. Oh well,
I'll try again next trip. Maybe I can fly with the ABQ boys some in the
future.

Jack

--
schrederman