Norm,  I bought my AVA used, but it has some options I recommend.

1) Ballast Tube - Must have.

2) Mid Skeg - Keeps that tail off the ground AND stops the plane from
sliding too far without having it stick in the ground liken an arrow

3) Split spoilers - I can't say how it works with one big spoiler but mine
comes down very nicely and I don't feel I have a pitch problem.  I do use
elevator comp mix but it works very smoothly.

Overall I love the AVA!

Best regards,
Ed Anderson