To: soaring@airage.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 8:15 AM
Subject: Harley Michaelis' Genie Line of Sailplanes

Harley Michaelis is one of those rare individuals in RC soaring community that is both innovative and generous. By continually refining and sharing his designs over the past 30 plus years, whether through magazine articles, his long standing web site or participating in the soaring community's on-line conversations, he has made immeasurable contributions to the world of RC soaring.

A couple of years ago, members of the local club I belong to asked if I would like to participate in a club build of the Genie. Admittedly, I had no experience with Harley's Genie, full house gliders in general and little experience with bagging wings. I had always been a proud and staunch wooden model builder. I agreed to take on the challenge and during the process of researching and building the Genie found a hidden love for the model. The design is well thought out from nose to tail with lines that are both distinctive and graceful.

As I learned to build my first Genie and then the second and now on my third, I have kept in touch with Harley, asking questions and getting advice, hopefully getting a little better at building each time. Harley has been an inexhaustible source of advice for me. As I learned to fly my first full house glider I became more enthusiastic for the Genie. And when my second Genie (a Genie Pro) finally moved from the bench to the field, I was hooked. Right then and there I could not imagine flying another glider.

A few months ago, I had started a web page to follow my third and eventually fourth Genie build http://www.geniebuild.com/ to share my build experience and help promote scratch building in general. These pages will go up and down as projects are started and completed.

Just as this summer was getting starting, Harley and friend Mark Miller (Isthmus Models) had inquired if I would be interested in taking over the task of sourcing parts and putting together parts packages for those glider guiders that want to build one of the Genie line. Flattered that Harley trusts that I can effectively and faithfully carry on supporting and promoting the Genie line of sailplane, I have accepted. I will be sourcing and shipping the full line of Genie parts, plans and instructions, while maintaining the web site and on-line pdf's at it's new address http://www.geniebuild.com/harleys_genie.html.

Best regards,
Michael "Augie" McKibben
LSF IV - 7720