Gentlemen:

Before flying season fades into the sunset, I would like to build a DLG.  At
this point in my life I have more time than money, so I am looking at a
built-up entry level kit rather than spending $300+ for an ARF or a
high-performance kit.

I have been researching quite a bit over the last several days, and the
conventional built-up kit selection is rather sparse. Right now, the most
likely candidates are the QF2 from Mountain Models and the Gambler AF from
Wright Brothers RC.  I have also considered the relatively low cost ARF Apache
from SoaringUSA.com

As I researched built-up DLG's it seemed that most of them were 50" span or
less rather than the usual 1.5m span that dominates the higher end models. Is
this for structural integrity or mostly for personal convenience/choice? As a
novice DLG flyer should I look toward shorter span models or stick with the
1.5m ships?

I am also curious to understand why the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces
are separated on most DLG's. Aerodynamically I know that fewer intersections
helps with drag, but are there other reasons for doing so?

I have been flying r/c for 36+ years so I am not a novice to model flight but
DLG is a whole new world for me.

If anyone on the exchange has experience with the models named above (or
similar kits) or can offer a novice DLG pilot some practical advise on span
choice, Rudder/Elevator vs Rudder/Aileron/Elevator, polyhedral vs dihedral
models or any other area that might prove helpful, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Dan Ashenfelter
Fort Dodge, Iowa