Ok, all you Pelikan flyers out there, I have a question.

Last year I flew my contest season with a plane I called the Peko.  It was
a Pelikan wing/tail set on a Mako fuse.  This plane flew wonderfully for
me, right up to the very last contest of the season, wherein something
(still don't know what) went terribly wrong on a launch, and it was destroyed.

I then went shopping for a replacement about October, and picked up a NIB
Pelikan at a good price.  My plan was to pick up a Mako fuse and replicate
my previous setup.  Well, I had some difficulty finding a Mako fuse, got in
a crunch (to get a plane ready for Phoenix), so decided to go ahead and
finish with the regular Pelikan fuse.

Now, the reason I didn't use this fuse on the previous plane is because I
don't like it.  It's sooo skinney that it takes a lot of work (and some
special configurations) to get all the electronics installed in the nose.

Well, I got my stuff shoe-horned in fine by tandem mounting the servo's,
using a long & skinney battery pack, and stuffing the receiver at the back
end of the of the setup.  The problem is, the receiver (and all the
required connecting wires) now completely fill the cavity of the fuse just
at the back end of the 'canopy' opening.  (basically, it's roughly between
the forward tips of the wing fairings.)

I usually place my ballast (a chunk of lead) in through that same opening
to secure it inside the fuse on the cg.  No way I can get there now.
What's the best method for ballasting this thing?

Do I need to shift to tubes in the wings?  (the cg is dead on the holes
burned for the wiring to the wing servo's, so I'll have to shift ahead or
behind the cg do to so.)

Can I safely cut a square (or round) opening in the top of the fuse to add
in ballast from the top w/out risking the structural integrity of the fuse?

Should I just add two clicks of down and forget the ballast?  (Our contests
last season were flown on windy days about 80% of the time.  And these
weren't 'light' winds.  I found ballasting on the previous ship to be of
great value.)

I'm curious to hear what other pelikan owners have done.

Les Grammer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Hunting for the Thermal Wizard"
NWSS