When I started soaring I would show up at the flying field with my built up
plane and be amazed at the other "hi tech" planes.  And more amazing the
pilots that flew them.  This all appeared untouchable by me at the
moment.  When I started out in the SOAR club I was not even aware of the
monthly contests.  "NATS, what was that?"

But there was this cool achievement program, LSF,  that I could work
towards and I would be proving to myself that I am getting better.  Simple
tasks, (at least from todays aspect), that challenged my new flying
skills.  Oh the exhilaration of getting that first 5 minute thermal.  I
felt like I was 16 years old again. :-)

Then when I started Level 2 I realized I would have to show up at these
contests to gain points for the Level 2 requirements. The SOAR contests are
like being at a "mini NATS".  At any contest you usually have at least a
couple of pilots that have held some sort of national level status.  With
many others close on their heels.  But what did I care I was their just to
get points.

Well by the time I finished my level 2 contest points I was starting to
enjoy these contests.  Even though I was at or near the bottom each
contest, It was enjoyable to meet and chat with the many SOAR members from
south as well as north.  (SOAR club membership covers an of  about 70 miles
by 130 miles.)

It wasn't until I bought a HL glider that I thought I might have a chance
at winning a contest.  HLGs were a minority in SOAR club.  Jim Bacus, Bruce
Hobbs, and I joined together and started driving to the out of state HL
contests, Indiana and Ohio.  By now I was eager to compete.   Level 2 was
soon out of the way.  I thought I was getting better.

On to Level 3.  Now I need even more points.  No problem, armed with a new
ship and with the LSF NATs it's a great place to rack up contest points.  I
was very happy with my standings at the NATs it gave me enough points so I
could complete the contest portion.

So after a summer of contests, I reflect back, and would have never
fathomed that I would ever care about competing for trophies.  (They sure
look nice on the walls though.)

I still look at LSF achievements as personal goals.  And in the process of
pursuing them, they are building and strengthening my soaring
skills.  Better yet it has allowed me to meet new people and build new
friendships.  (many new friends in Ohio, you guys are great.)  See you guys
on the contest circuit soon.

Remember, contests are suppose to be fun.

One goal and return away from LSF 3
Steve

Steve Meyer  http://www.mcs.net/~stmeyer/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]