> Sorry if this got long, but I only use windvanes to tell me which slope to
> drive to. And this windvane theory also doesn't readily explain why Zagi's
> and Boomerangs, etc appear to get up "on step" when in good air, no true
> tailplane to cause rotation.

I dont want to drag this discussion out anymore, but the windvane theory
does hold true and in the case of the flying wing, the wing tips are farther
aft of the CG and have more surface area (approx. 2/3 of the whole area) so
the wing will weather vane to a nose down AOA as it enters lift. Once the
new sink rate has been established (it could be rising, but it is all
relative) the plane will level out just as it did in my description of
balancing the plane.
Remember that the horizontal and vertical components of the planes movement
are separate. In my demonstration, the forward air flow is missing, but that
has nothing to do with the initial nose down attitude when entering lift. It
could actually have a tendency to dampen the pitch movement.

         Mark Mech
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    www.aerofoam.com