I think the thing that helped me to visualize this is the understanding
that the effect only occurs during the transition to the rising air.
After that, everything goes back to normal.

This has been a *GREAT* thread.  It has been a real eye-opener for me.
I think back to flying and seeing the plane do this and have a much,
much understanding about what is happening.

Thanks to all who took the time to explain this.

-Ben