I picked up some Micafilm on a close-out a couple of years ago.  Last spring
I used it on a foam combat wing thinking the advertised light weight and
tear resistance would be advantageous, it was an unmitigated disaster.

* More work to apply because of the Balsarite.  Especially so since the
whole wing needed to be coated.  Seam areas need to be coated twice as the
top layer and bottom layer both need adhesion.

* Doubtfull much weight was saved as coating the whole wing ate up a lot of
Balsarite.

* In an impact, the Balsarite releases in large patches.  Aside from being
ugly, this often left large sections peeling in flight.

* In making a repair, strapping tape applied over Balsarite also releases on
impact, making reinforcement nearly impossible.

* Although advertised as tear resistant, one day at Eagle Butte left the
bottom of the wing looking like it had lost a fight with an angry cat.
Packing tape is more tear resistant, at least over foam.

* Stripping Micafilm and especially Balsarite was harder than applying it.

The Micafilm used was not clear, it was sort of silvery white.  Perhaps the
clear version has a different structure.  This stuff had a flat finish and
tiny fibers imbeded so I doubt it would be clear even if colorless.

I will probably try Micafilm again someday (I still have quite a bit left)
But it will be on a wood frame structure where (I hope) most of the problems
encountered should not occur.  NEVER use Micafilm/Balsarite over EPP!

Rick,