I rarely reply to RCSE messages by responding to the entire mailing list, but
I felt that the issue brought up recently by Paul Klissner was an important
one.

Paul is concerned that there is "no concensus or regard or forethought about
where to stand and land whatsoever" at his local slope site. Paul also went
on to say that he defines weekends at Coyote Point as "the time when all the
self-proclaimed experts stand in the landing path talking about wind
direction and rotor and how if a glider makes noise that means it has drag."

I have flown at Coyote Point and many other slope sites all over the United
States, and in the past 5 years I've noticed a big increase in conflicts and
accidents at slope flying sites. The incidents I have witnessed include the
following:
a. one cuncussion
b. several collisions between lead-ballasted combat planes and spectators
that have resulted in injury
c. flyers refusing to keep an area clear so a novice pilot may have a few
passes at the landing zone.
d. throwing rocks at glider because someone is mad at the pilot
e. intentionally turning on a radio that is on the same frequency that is
being used by another pilot
f. a fist fight

I hadn't witnessed any of the problems in the proceeding list untill about 5
years ago. Rather than discussing what factors are to blame, I'd like to have
RCSE list members suggest solutions.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions the RCSE group might come up with
regarding the problem.

- Steve