Walter-
Boy am I gonna get flamed for this <g>.  Absolutely!  I have seen many planes that fly
better heavier than lighter.  The first one that comes to mind is my NSP sparrow
(RG-15).  It flew ok at 22oz.  Kicked serious butt at 28-29oz.  I would say a lot
depends on airfoil.  I am sure that the techical types will tell you it has to do with
Renolds numbers, all I know is sometimes it works.  As I remember Dave Register wrote
an article a few years ago in RCSD about ballasting; might be worth a read. In my
limited exp it seems the thinner "cleaner" sections do better heavy than the think
ones, might be wrong...(happened once before...).

Kristopher