That was for jumping lead acid batteries for cars. But one thing was missed about
hooking
the negative last, was that the neg. cable was to be hook up away from the battery.
Hook to
some part of the frame of the car. The battery gives off hydrogen gas. It is very
inflammable,
and can blow the top off the battery from any sparks from the jumper cables hook to the
battery. The first battery you can hook up at the battery posts. The second battery
you should always hook the (+) to the battery
first. Then hook the (-) away from the battery, to the car frame. Some of the new cars
have a place to hook up the jumper cables
away from the battery. Any other types of batteries it would make any difference which
was hooked up first.
Also if you are installing a new car battery, if you hooked up the neg (ground) first
then hook
the positive and slip with your wrench. You can also blow up the battery, melt/ weld
the wrench in place.  It is also a good idea to
take off  all rings & watches with metal bands.

Howard Rudy
SLC, UT.