Carbon fiber rods are available from various kite suppliers like In to the
Wind Kites and Gone with the Wind Kites. They come in 48 inch lengths and
various diameters up to 1/8 inches. There are also thick walled carbon fiber
tubes available in larger diameters. The carbon fiber is very strong yet
very brittle and is prone to failure at stress concentrations like the end
of a brass tube. This problem can be overcome by avoiding hard tubes and/or
sheathing the carbon rod in a soft aluminum tube from KS. The sheathed rod
can then be used with brass tubing. The extra diameter of the sheathing does
not lend itself to retrofitting carbon rods in existing models.
Regards, Ollie