At 10:42 PM 4/21/00 -0400, Mark Drela wrote:
>Does anyone know if the JR610M runs OK with 3 cells?
>
>This is clearly an important consideration when
>looking at RX weights for HLGs.  If the JR610
>requires 4 cells, then its weight advantage
>over the Hitec555 with 3 cells is minimal.
>

>--
>- Mark Drela

Mark,

In my post a week ago, regarding the JR-610M, I indicated that I was flying
it with three cells, but was experiencing some apparent interference.

I pointed out a couple of elements that could possible contribute to the
glitching, which included: using three cells instead of four, running the
antenna parallel along a carbon tailboom, and using a Berg crystal instead
of a JR crystal. Over the weekend, I tried each variable individually then
as a whole.

The JR-610M seems to work fine with three cells without any apparent loss
of signal. Although I would still like to measure the dropout of the
onboard regulation circuitry as well as current consumption, but until
then, three cells seem to work.

As I had also mentioned earlier, the antenna on the 610M is 23.75" as
opposed to the Berg6's 39.25". I wrapped the antenna loosely around the
boom instead of running perfectly parallel to it. I was unable to detect
any range gain or loss with either method.

I replaced the Berg6 crystal with an official JR crystal and couldn't
detect any range gain or loss compared to using a Berg6 crystal.

Finally, with all three items implemented, I was still getting some
glitching. The plane (HLG) was flown up to approximately 1000' away and
seemed to exhibit more glitching when another flyer was situated between my
plane and my transmitter. My next step is to try a second JR-610M which
I've just received.

Tom Hoopes ([EMAIL PROTECTED])