What a great first experience in F3B.  I had the most fun/stress of any
flying contest I can remember (not too many, unfortunately).  After the
first day I didn't know how I would like it, since this is supposed to be a
"relaxing" hobby to take away stress from work.  Here we are
trying to listen to beeps,buzzes and horns , running around a post with a
loop on it , dodging what seemed  like 30 people on the flightline shouting
"turn" (about the same time your expecting it), all the while trying to keep
an eye on a plane that looked allot like the other 3 in the sky
criss-crossing your path.  Not having had too much time to fly in some time
and trying to learn a whole new aspect of the hobby, I left Saturday feeling
like I was in way over my head.  But after having some time to process all
the information rammed into my brain, I was very excited to return the next
day with a more relaxed attitude.  Most people associate F3B with the speed
event, but after flying in one myself, I would have to say that the distance
portion is probably the most exciting and fun (even though I really love
speed).  The above mentioned seemingly chaotic scene was completely
different the second day, since I now knew what to except.  Being able to
concentrate a little more on flying made it much less stressful and
obviously more enjoyable.  By the end of the day I had qualified in all 3
events (absolutes) and now have a new love in the sport of soaring.  I can't
wait to do this again-------SOON.
Thanks to Mike Lachowski and gang for lugging the timing/counting device
down from the East coast, and all the flyers / helpers that came out one or
both days to help out.  Couldn't have been done without you!

Mike York
SOAR  Chicago