Rob Crockett wrote:

>As a way of comparing the ease of programming computer radios, consider this
>simple test:  Show what needs to be done to get 90 degrees of flaps from a
>full 90 degrees of flap servo motion.  Piece-o-cake with ailerons, but very
>tough with flaps, since ailerons move both 45 degrees up and down for total
>90 degrees, but the flaps need to move essentially 90 degrees down only.

I just finished setting up my Emerald on my Profi-4000, which provides at
least 2 solutions to this:

1) a few of the controls (e.g. throttle, spoiler) are naturally thought
of as "unsigned" -- instead of providing a range of -100 to +100, they
provide a range of 0 - 100.  So you could assign your flap stick to the
"spoiler" internal control and use that throughout as your flap value.

However, 2) is a much more general solution:

2) In the Profi-4000, all inputs to a servo go through their own mixing
curve, even if it is just a 3-point curve (up/left, center, down/right).
In this case you don't have to worry about whether the flap input goes
from 0 - 100 or -100 to +100; you can just use the curve to convert the
input range of -100 to +100 into whatever output range you want.  Then
you can set up the physical servo linkage so that when the flap stick is
full forward, the flap control surface is up, and when it is full
backward the flap surface is down 90 degrees.

     -- Tim Olson
     Austin, TX