Bill Harris wrote:

> On the Bird of Time I'm building, from the plans, the wing incidence is +2 deg, the
>(flying) stab incidence is +2 deg, and therefore the decalage is -0- degrees.  For a
>"reasonable starting point" I should trim (or "zero") the stab at -0.5 deg for a
>decalage of 2.5 degrees.
>
> Not a big deal, but with the enclosed stab linkage on the BoT, I want to get the
>bellcrank, servo arm, etc, pretty much zeroed-out during assembly.
>
> --Bill

I'm only familiar with the Bird of Time through this forum and magazines, so I don't
know what the incidence setups are. I would presume, given the skills of Dave
Thornburg and the reputation of the model, that the settings on the plan would be
close to optimum.

Again, the zero datum of the section is from front point of the airfoil to the point
of the trailing edge (this is not the same as the flat surface along the bottom of the
wing). Make sure that you are measuring the correct entity.
As I stated, the optimum decalage will vary, depending on a number of variables and
the figures I gave were just starting points to get you in the ballpark. Each model
will require fine tuning.  A flying stab makes the set-up easy.  Don't get too worried
about things -just
follow the plans and you won't go wrong.

--
John O'Sullivan
Nova Scotia

Wind and Wave Models