At 08:57 PM 5/8/00 -0400, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>mikel says<<>>
>
> I think the key to the glitching is in the carbon tow in the fuses, carbon
>tail boom, and carbon darts full length in the wings.  I will fly one in a
>zagi this week to check it out.  Problem is, a lot of my slo-fly electrics
>have carbon booms too.  PF-5, PF-6, Dragonfly, etc.   Bill Grenoble

Hi All,

Before industrial strength hysteria sets in, it might be worth a couple of
tries to see if the source of the problem can be better identified. I don't
dispute that a poor radio link exists. In fact, my first post outlining my
impressions and experience with the 610M focused on the glitching that I
was experiencing.

At the time, I was running on 3 cells (3x110mAh), 4 - HS50 servos, and the
antenna was the stock 23.75" running parallel to the carbon tailboom that
it was taped to. Later, I changed to 4 cells and wrapped the antenna around
the boom, with no apparent change or improvement. A second JR-610M arrived
having none of the "Tetra type" characteristics and proved to be quite
solid. The logical conclusion that I arrived at, put the fault on the first
610M due to un-refined alignment procedures at JR, which is not uncommon
with many new products.

I have tried the first "glitchy" receiver with a Berg6 crystal and a ~40"
antenna (1/4 wavelength) with much improved results. The Berg crystals
appear to have a slightly tighter tolerance than the JR crystals and the
longer antenna increases the gain of the receiver, much like a better TV
antenna provides a clearer picture.

What does this all mean? Well most likely, the receiver's alignment
procedure is more critical than production and post-production can provide.
This can be often traced to one or more of the following: improper
alignment procedure, insufficient part tolerances, circuitry lacks
robustness, and system oversights.

So why not jump on the bandwagon and call it all crap?  I had a similar
experience with JR-341's when they were first introduced. Remember their
ad, "...strong as metal gears, but light as plastic..."? I went through six
servos because of sheared gears during the load on the flaps when winch
launching. I ordered new gear sets that were obviously made of a different
type of plastic from the original. Those gears shattered rather than
shearing and they were even weaker. I wrote a letter to JR and sent samples
of both gears. Mike Stokes, from JR, responded immediately by phone and
sent me (12) new gear sets to "try" and said that the engineer from Japan
was at the US facility when the parts I sent had arrived. One and a half
months later, he sent me more gear sets of a different plastic and the
problem was solved! That was about 8 years ago.

Of course, if the manufacturer comes back stating that black is white and
white is black and none of us have a clue what we are talking about, then I
recommend "walking away".

Stylus Boy wearing the "real world" hat,

Tom Hoopes - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CD - Soar Utah 2000

http://www.silentflyer.org