At 05:10 PM 5/14/00 -0500, d. o. darnell wrote:

>I am currently interested in utilizing spoilerons on an molded electric
>which has an RG15 airfoil, strip ailerons and 2M span.
>Does anyone have any actuall experience they could relate?  And please
>specify direction as well as amount of deflection.

I use spoilerons on my compositie Renegade, which has a 60" Rg-15 wing and
strip ailerons.  I have about 40 degress of spoileron up trave, and I
compensate with around 8% of up elevator, which keeps everything level, for
the most part.  I found out this percentage by trial and error, but I think
5% would be a good starting point.

I've found spoilers are best used to control the speed of the initial
landing approach, as opposed to being used to slow the plane down all the
way to the ground, like flaps.  I often deploy the spoilerons at the
begining of fast approach. Sometimes if I'm going really fast, I pull back
on the stick to give a nose up attitude with the spolerons deflected full,
which bleeds off speed fast.  As I'm coming closer to the ground I usually
reduce the spoilerons to lower my sink rate.  My goal is to be at 0 degrees
of spoilerons when I'm just a few feet off the ground, then hopefully float
it in.  It doesnt always work!