Sorry I missed the first post.  Bill, sounds like you're working on a spar
system similar to one I'm building at the moment. It's my first design of a
"big" plane at 120".  I have two spars like you say, but I placed them so
that they are at 90% wing thickness so as not to compromise strength too
much.  This places one spar at about 17% and the other at around 42% if
memory serves.

The spars converge in the outer panels as strength requirements decrease.
This allows me to use three panels and have two joiners equally sharing the
load at the two midspan joints.  These two joiners are significantly smaller
than the solid joiners typically found in the center of a wing because the
load on the joiner increases roughly by the distance from the wingtip
squared.

I have an almost solid spruce spar (well, two of them actually) 3/8" wide in
the center, and no joiner to further complicate things in this already
compromising area.  The spar tapers by steps of 1/16" to 1/8" as the load
decreases.  It's still a ways from launch, so I don't know if it will work
at all, but theoretically, the wing will sustain 8g--that's 36lb.  I don't
know if this is typical, but back engineering a couple 2m and a 100" plane
gave an average value of about 6g.

I don't know if this approach captures what you have in mind.  If you're
interested, I could fire you off the spreadsheet I used to design the spar
system.  It's pretty flexible and designed to work w/ the PlaneGeometry
spreadsheets, but can be used as a stand alone.

Tony Rogers
Product Design Engineer [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Precision Interconnect          503/603-4750