Well they can fly to  too.

Sometime ago (20yr) we had a member of the ASPCA checking on some horses in a field
next to are farm.  A big dust devil came a long and picked up the woman, carried
her over the fence and dropped her 10 ft away. She didn't land well, but she walked
away from the landing. ;>)    She was very lucky.
One of the papers and a radio station had  a lot of fun with it.
I have seen a lot of dust devils come through are hay fields and make a big mess.
I have seen a column of cut hay pulled up 80-90 in the air. It comes down in trees
and over power lines. But I have never had a plane handy at the time.
I hope I will, when the next one comes through.
Howard
SLC, UT.