With the advent of the Rotary Driver System
http://www.proptwisters.org/rds2/, the servo in a molded wing can be
vertically mounted anywhere. It is simply then tilted so the drive shaft
enters the pocket in the moving surface, which can also be about anywhere
in thin surfaces. This simplifies the mounting and also gets rid of those
pesky horns, clevises, threaded rods, etc. There is no longer any reason to
have hardware, horns or otherwise,  hanging out of those beautiful wings.

Adapters are now being produced by Kimbrough Products that fit the fine
Volz and Multiplex servos favored by those flying the more extreme ships.
If manufacturers would provide circular openings in wings or offer
rectangular openings oriented at 45
degrees to the hinglines, or respond to request to provide wings with no
openings so modelers could make them as needed, it would make use of the
RDS possible in molded ships much easier. Circular openings are less
subject to stress fracture than rectangular openings that have sharp
corners. Volz has a round servo that takes advantage of that.

The practice of making openings oriented at 90 degrees and further outboard
than needed for the RDS, effectively denies the modeler the benefits
available, namely eliminating or reducing slop, drag, noise, clutter and
getting better roll response by moving mass more inboard. A great deal of
information is provided in the website mentioned above. This advanced
technology is a reality ready to be used.