I am building a hot wire set up and need to know which is better:

1.  a variac (3-5amp) connected to an isolated step down transformer 110-24
volts 10 amp
or
2. same isolated transformer with a dimmer switch on the 110 side.

If neither, then what is the best way to do it??  I want plenty of power to
be able to cut anything from a 20 in to a 75 in bow.

Please include any and all assistance in the construction of the power
supply that can be offered.  I am looking both for an inexpensive and
durable setup THAT IS SAFE to operate.  Any comments withh be helpful.

I am also looking for suppliers of the required parts.  Radio Shack does
have the above transformer but it is ~$55.  The more I save the more I will
have to spend on foam and new sailplanes etc.

Thanks
Frank