Forwarded with permission, as Arend is not on the list.  Another copy will
show up in a week or so, when our moderator returns from the US NATS.

Jon Stone

----- Original Message -----
From: Arend Borst
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2000 1:29 PM
Subject: [FAIsoaring] Volz temp drift history

TEMPERATURE  DRIFT  IS HISTORY.

Well, I guess it is time for my ten cents worth.
I am Arend Borst, and with two third placings in the last two World Camps, I
can safely say to be consistent.  Volz servo's have been the only servo's in
my F3J planes for the last three years, and the occurring temperature drift
has not kept me from being competitive.  MV  found the culprit to this
problem, and I received the components that supposedly would solve this
drift, shortly before the World Champs in Greece. I had my components
shipped to Canada within two days , installed them myself, emptied two
transmitter packs during the following Saturday while putting these new
components to the test.  Furthermore I very closely observed the neutral
positions of all surfaces during the 120 degree HEAT test on Corfu.
Visually I can no longer detect this temperature drifting, and for me that
means that the problem is solved.  MV told me that from now on every servo
leaving his plant has this new component installed.  I have seen more
innovations and improvements in these servo's over the last three years than
I could ever expect, and that means that they probably continue to get even
better than they already are.  You might think I am getting paid to say
this, na na, I just thought that some credit  to MV is appropriate.

After reading some of the discussions on the exchange, I would like to share
one of my principals that I believe could help a lot of you stay out of
technical trouble more than you did before.  I always use components that
are qualified or even over qualified for doing their job.  That is why I
will never use plastic gears in an F3J / F3B model, not even for a V-tail.
That is why I prefer a five cell ni-cad battery pack.  That is why I will
never use any unproven epoxy, or  5 minute epoxy.  That is why  The Stratos
is the plane I use since the spar has never been broken on a two man tow, by
anybody.  For example ( In the US it was D.Perkins, and in Canada  G.Clarck
who both missed a spot on their national team,  because of wing spar
failures during the flyoffs.)
Maybe I go overboard on some of my criteria, but in the long run I believe
it pay's of if you arefully examine your planes possible weaknesses, and
eliminate them without compromise.
There is at least one thing where I could not seem to get a handle on in
Corfu, and that is preventing line breaks.  And I know there are a few
others trying to figure out why they had this problem as well.

So we continue

Arend Borst.