So, about that midwest air...

The guys were saying the air in Muncie this year was as good as it gets. Let
me
tell you, it was damn good sometimes. Fun ones, ya know: like when you're
cored
and you're trying to keep the speed up so as to prevent the unfortunate
stall,
then realize just how much down you are giving. You ease back on the
stick...only to find the plane slow to a sustained 2mph horizontal and 5mph
vertical. Hook, sky, hook, sky. Punch, read, drop, throw, punch, hook,
sky.....
The way real air is supposed to be :-) Beautiful air back there, and some of
the
boomers were every bit as good as Poway has offered in the past. So that
describes an up-cycle in the best air Muncie reportedly has to offer. As
Skip
said in his F3J report, the good air offered some very easy reads for us.
Far
off the field, someone had placed a mylar streamer on a pole. This thing was
showing feeds like a freakin computer. It'd drop, then rise above the pole,
and
then point straight downwind. It was easy to infer both strength, speed and
distance to the air as the streamer changed heading. The prevailing wind was
from the East for us Monday, and it was generally light and steady.

Conditions deteriorated from there. Not only strength, but geometry and
duration
of the lift is different than what I've seen before. I've seen stuff shear
at
altitude, I've seen other stuff detach from the ground preventing entry from
below. This air was different, and was consistently a pain in the a$$.
Reading
became very difficult for me, as following shifts and feeds to their logical
conclusion most often yielded nothing. Following my instincts to areas I
felt
were going to be productive was more often than not a mistake. Even when I
or my callers would get me to the right spot, my trusty kluge would rarely
go up. It
was finally handling OK again, but based on neutral air times, I know my
sinkrate is higher than it has been in the past (chuckies do tend to lose a
little when they get long in tooth.) This kind of air really hones your
ability
to fly smooth, and I feel like my thumbs are better than they've ever been.
Launch is back too, but if you can't go up, you can't stay up. Being unable
read is bad enough, but it gets pretty disheartening when you get great
altitude
on launch, core air, aviate well and still don't go up while others around
you
do.

The good news is that although I did get schooled by the Muncie air and the
midwest pilots this year, spending a half day in really tough air taught me
lot. We only get fleeting glances of truly weak air in SoCal, and my
strength
has always been working the light stuff. Back in the corn fields, I look
even
more like a hack than at Poway, but trust me, nothing went unnoticed. I
think
the trip may become one of those milestones to look back on as a critical
step
in development. The generally good air at home has enabled me to become
wasteful with energy. True, if I were to stay in Cali, the fresh insight
into light air
may yield unimportant gains, and it would be much more productive to tackle
the
windy/turbulent areas. However, as the patriarchs have shown us (even you
Art),
true skill is having the depth of experience to excel in all conditions.
This
trip may make the morning 1000's come a little easier in SoCal, but the real
payoff will be in subsequent out-of-state events.

This experience has strengthened my resolve in another area as well. I've
proposed that the eventual F3K team selection process include performance at
both the NATS and the IHLGF as prequalification and then a dedicated team
selection over a third weekend in a third state with assigned timers. Scores
from all three events would be used to select the team. Besides being
cumbersome
and possibly pricey, many of my peers and mentors have concluded that the
IHLGF is good enough or that the selections should just be held in SoCal
because in all likelihood two thirds of the team will come from here. If we
were to field a
team most proficient in SoCal air and then send them to an event in air like
the
Midwest, we may be sorely surprised. I do think Joe and Paul would have
still
taken first and second in Muncie, but as you know, these two are in a class
by
themselves and we can't take things for granted (such as do they want it or
not?) I've prided myself in light air performance and yet got veritably
schooled
this week. Not a big surprise considering my inexperience, but the team I
would
like to represent the US at the F3K WCs would excel in all conditions.

I can't think of a single person who wouldn't be rewarded in one way or
another
by a trip to Muncie. Whatever your intentions are, you will come back a more
developed stick. But if you're going there to bring home the wood, you'd
better
bring the lightest, floatiest thing you can get your hands on. And you'd
better
know the thing well enough to be able to guide it like a flatbed truck
carrying
a pile of eggs over the Ortegas.

But you'd better bring the wind ship too, so you can show them how to do it
when
the conditions get fun :-)

Derek
No Skip, no excuses...17th was where I deserved to finish :-(