Oh, no.  Not another DuckyDebate.  :-O

I got a JR base-loaded antenna for my 8103 for use on the slope and hand-tossing.
What is the proper way to range check an antenna like this?  It would seem to me that
"no antenna" would make the RF output unhappier than a collapsed antenna.

I think that usual practice will be to keep the "stock" (extensible) antenna on the
radio (in the case, between filghts) and remove that antenna and screw on the
base-loaded antenna at the field.  I'm thinking that the usual antenna-collapsed range
check would suffice.

Somewhat related, I'm finishing my Chrysalis HLG and installing avionics this weekend.
 Since the fuse is short, it is suggested that several turns of the antenna be wrapped
around 1/16" scrap balsa to take up the excess.  How might this affect the range of
the Rx?  I'm trusting, but want to check, especially since I'm also using a short Tx
antenna.

--Bill