>I'm pretty interested in making a couple of HLG's over the winter,
>and I had a couple of questions about the Apogee in specific:
>
>1) What is a good source for stiff tailbooms? (CST, ACP?)

32.5" long Avia "Skinny Ultralight"  7.6g before trimming
www.intothewind.com   catalog #4500  $7.70
You might find a local source to avoid the shipping charge.
The ACP and CST tailbooms are grossly oversized.

>2) Pushrods?
0.012" piano wire.
www.smallparts.com sells it straightened, and also sells
small-diameter thinwall Teflon tubing for housings.
You can also use 0.015" K&S wire, but that is gross
overkill and it will have more friction which is the
major battery juice sink.

>3) What layup schedule and materials would suit the fuselage?
>I've never worked with Kevlar before, but am interested
>in trying it out.
Three layers of 1.8oz Kevlar in the front, two in the back.
It must be bagged into the mold since it is too stiff to
stay put.  Another way to do it is to make a silicone
cast in each half and use that to press the Kevlar into
the mold.  It's a pain to mold but worth it IMO.

--
- Mark Drela