First, I would have to agree on the Sonic over the Zagi for DSing.  Pat
designed it specifically for that purpose and it really outperforms the Zagi
in a DSing situation.  I took both my Zagi and Sonic up to Parker Mt.. to
learn.  The Zagi bounces around much more when it tries and blasts through
the rotor.  As mentioned, weight it down a bit and have plenty of tape on
hand.  Geeeez, you thought combat was tough on a plane, try hitting the
ground at double the speed of normal flight!!

OK, now for the good part.  I was up at Parker Mt.. last Sunday and saw Pat
testing a new DSing machine.  It was it's first DSing flight test.  Pat told
me what the plane looks like, but I forgot the name of it.  Basically the
plane looks like a small fuse with a backwards sonic on top, except the
leading edge is straight instead of "V" shaped.  The TE is all Elevons and
was created as an integral part of the wing's airfoil.  The tail has no
horizontal stab, but the vertical fin is quite large.  Two servo ship, flies
like a wing.

Pat says that the most unusual part of the design is the CG is very far
forward in relation to the wing.  The first glide test he set it about 1/3
back as a start the plane just spun out of control backwards.  After about
10oz of lead in the nose, he brought the CG about 2 inches back from the LE
out of about 12 inches cord.  The wings were also heavy and with all the
lead, this made for a heavy ship if you were to hold it in your hands.  The
plane is all wing area.

How does it fly?  This thing is a rocket!!  Pat commented that he never saw
a foam plane fly that fast or retain as much energy.  Now, I am not an
expert on this, but I have seen the Sonic get into DS loops at Parker of
90mph on a gun, this thing was substantially faster and would not be
surprised if it was going 125mph.

I was mesmerized.  Pat was putting on a show for us.  He would loop one
direction, then the next, even do vertical DS loops, then break away and
zoom straight up a couple hundred feet.  Rolls, spins, dives, the plane look
like it handled well.  With the TE being full elevons the response was very
crisp, the roll rate was awesome.  Watching the plane zoom skyward
performing a quick half dozen rolls was incredible.  One maneuver Pat pulls
in to do some tight DSing loops, the plane accelerated to a blur, literally.
Pat pulls out of it joking that he couldn't think that fast.  I looked over
at the other spectator wondering if he just saw what I did.  The plane was
moving to fast to think.

You could really see the energy retention on landing.  If you have ever been
to Parker, the landing approach is on the backside, coming up the hill.  Pat
drove the plane down to the foothills and way off to the left to slow it
down enough to land.  Only the composite ships have to loop that big to slow
down to land.

You know, Pat has a sticker on the back of his truck that says "DS it will
change your life."  I live up in Bay Area now and few of the pilots I fly
with have really seen DSing.  There aren't any sites that really lend itself
to it.  The closest thing I have seen is Shell Ridge in Walnut Creek, but
the back side of the slope is filled with 20ft trees.  I saw an F3B plane
take it fine but I am sure the trees reach up and grab the foamy stuff out
of the air.  All I can think is that I spent 25 years living in Valencia, CA
and I didn't get into the sport until after I left :)

Pat says that he has a bit more work to do on the plane.  He wants the plane
to DS as well inverted so he talked about putting spars both top and bottom
to handle the stress.  He figures the plane will be ready to sell sometime
in October.  All I can say is that the line forms behind me :)

Jim Cubbage